Loading

Logo ForumForum and contact EMail

Buy for £2 an INSTANT DOWNLOAD
Choose from Exeter Maps or two eBooks and help pay for running the site
Buynow

Exeter Pub List   

Last update 28th April 2011   

Page 1 -  A to D       Page 2 - E to L      Page 3 -  M to R      Page 4 - S to Z

Pub - Hotel Name previous names

Street and area

Evidence of existence, notes and date closed

Madge's Spirit Vaults

10 High Street

Madge match strikerThe first appearance of Madge's Spirit Shop was in 1849, when a case of coining (counterfeit coins) at Madge's was heard at the Guildhall, when Mr George Madge gave evidence. In 1850, another case at the Guildhall referred to Madge's Gin Shop. There are no other references in the Flying Post to the business until 1897, when the interment of George Madge is mentioned. The business was taken over by Madge's son, also George Madge who lived at Belmont Road. He ran the business for two years, before he died at the early age of 27, in May 1899, and was buried in Higher Cemetery.  The business did not close until August 1914, and was probably run by George Madge's mother. It was situated close to the modern H & M. The photo shows a promotional match striker made for George Madge and Son.

Mail Coach PH

St Sidwells

This may have been on the site of the Acland Hotel. It was leased from the Dean and Chapter by Elisha Channon. It included a garden, field and two cottages. See Royal Mail Coach below.

Malt Scoop Inn

White Street Topsham

Situated in No 10, White Street, it is credited with being the smallest pub in Exeter. In October 1899 a for sale notice appeared when the licensee was Mrs Murphy The next month, it was sold to Mr Ferris of Dawlish for £450 along with a cottage.

It closed in the 1980s after gaining a reputation for bawdy behaviour and after hours drinking. The building is one of a terrace of houses that date from either the 17th or 18th Century.

Malt Scoop

Roch's Lane

Mentioned in 1796 in the Flying Post. In 1816, an auction took place at the Malt Scoop, run by Joseph Roew the landlord.

Malthouse

Haven Road

See Malthouse for a history.

Maltsters' Arms

Goldsmith Street

First listed in 1822, last listed in 1830, fate unknown.

Mama Stones

Mary Arches and Bartholomew Street

See Mama Stones for a history

Market House Inn

Bonhay

An inquest in April 1859 into body of child found floating in stream was conducted at the Market House Inn, Bonhay. It is possible that this is the Cattle Market Inn and has been misnamed.

Market House Inn

Guinea Street
Corn Market

The first entry in a directory was in 1822. In September 1838, it was announced that "The Exeter Western Conservative Association will hold their next quarterly meeting on Monday, the 1st October at Tapper's Market House Inn, Guinea-street"  In September 1841, it was for let "This Inn is well known, and is frequented by most respectable Yeoman on Market Days" with Mr John Holman in occupation.
By January 1846, Mr William Burcher opened the Albert Saloon at the inn "where a pianist, and several professional singers nightly attend" The entertainment cannot have been good for business because G L Tancock took the inn in April 1846. In 1850, a case of theft of a silver spoon belonging to T L Tancock appeared at the Guildhall. The last listing in a directory was in 1851 and it seems to have disappeared. In 1917, the premises were occupied by Burgess & Sons.

Marquis of Wellington

West Quarter

Mentioned in 1815 ref AER, only listing 1830. This inn must have opened sometime before May 1814, the date when Wellington was made a Duke. Fate unknown.

Mason's Arms

Preston Street

The only listing I could find was in 1816. An inquest was held in January 1824 at Powderham, into the death of John Heall, 74 years old, who had kept the Mason's Arms a few years before. He and his family had become destitute. In May 1870, the license was transferred from James Lake to John Gould. That is the last reference in the Flying Post. The name relates to the guild and occupation of masons.

Mason's Arms

Topsham

Listed in Pigot's Directory of 1830 with Elizabeth Smith in residence.

Mermaid Tavern

Preston Street

See Mermaid Inn for a full history.

Micawbers
Half Moon 1850
The Star

Whipton Village Road

MicawbersOriginally named the Star Inn, it was first listed in 1850 as the Half Moon with James Wayborn. It was refurbished in 1955 and last listed in 1972 as the Half Moon. It was named Micawbers, after the character from Dickens, in 1995 by the brewery. Once, an important coaching inn on the Bristol to Exeter run, it was thatched until 1895, when a fire destroyed the inn and outbuildings, along with three cottages opposite.

Mill on the Exe

Bonhay Road

See Mill on the Exe for a history.

Mint Tavern 1962
Star Stores Inn 1877
The Star 1873

Fore Street

The MintPrivate house and "The Medicine and Chemical Hall" apothecary in 1838. The Star Inn on the corner of John Street closed in 1855, dating the opening of the Star Inn on the Mint site, sometime after. Henry Hexter was granted a spirit license in 1866 for the then unnamed premises, but by the October, the Star Inn was the venue for a sale of property.  In 1874 there was an inquest at Hexter's Star Stores.  In 1881, and Jane Pool was convicted of stealing a jug from the inn. By 1882, the Star Inn was run by William Hexter, and his son, Henry took on the license of the Ship Inn, Martin's Lane. There was a fire at the Star Inn in 1897, when some linen ignited when in front of the kitchen fire. It had been extinguished before William Pett, the fire chief and his brigade arrived. William Hexter died at the age of 53 in 1899.  Listed in the 1972 Kelly's as the Mint Tavern, closed for 2 years circa 1995, still trading.

The Mitre

South Street, Bell Hill south side

Mitre 14th-16th century, Dymond records William Langham leaving 1721 for Grapes ceased trading when Trewman's Flying Post occupied in 1763 "...in the House late the Mitre Taverne, in Southgate-Street, Exon" , later the premises were occupied by Coles the printers. Frequented by vergers and sextons.

Monmouth Inn

9 Monmouth Street, Topsham

In 1845 it was 'an old established and well accustomed inn, with 6 good bedrooms, tap and dining rooms, cellars, brewhouse, skittle ground and garden'. In March 1873, there was a bicycle race between Mr Marwood's Duke of Monmouth Inn and the Swan Inn. Later in the same year, John Reed Marwood was summoned for serving a drunk at a wrestling match in the skittle alley, and fined £1 with 14s 6d costs.

In 1885 he was charged with allowing out of hours drinking. There was a request for the transfer of the license from Mr Ellworthy to Mr William Hayward in 1889, which was refused, but granted for transfer to Mr William King. The next year a new landlord, William Moore was fined £1 for selling adulterated gin. The license was transferred in November 1900 from Mr J M Hitchcock to Mr J Chapman. The house was known to be still trading in 1912.

Moreton Inn/tavern

Cowick Street

Moreton InnAlthough this was a court-yarded Elizabethan inn it wasn't listed until 1816. The first mention in the 19th-century was a for sale notice in the Flying Post in October 1809.  In May 1815 the freehold premises were for sale in the occupation of Mr john Balle and consisted of "two parlors, a bar, kitchen, and six good lodging-rooms; together with two excellent stables, and a spacious linhay, and garden"

In 1827, Abraham Cann the famous Devon wrestler was listed as the landlord. He moved on to the Champions Arms by 1830. Cann who was said to be Champion of England in 1827, wrestled at many venues including the Salutation Hotel in Topsham, as well as St Sidwells and St Thomas.

There is a reference to the Royal Oak, late the Moreton Inn, now in the possession of Mr Wyatt during 1830 but by 1833 it was back as the Moreton Inn when it was for sale in the occupation of Mrs Rebecca Drown. It was for sale again in 1837 while in the occupation of Mr Thomas. In September 1838 Mr John Southcott the landlord brought a case regarding carts and vehicles blocking the street in front of the pub on market days. Mr Southcott was still in occupation in 1856 when he advertised it for sale. George Moore was the landlord in 1881, when he was summoned for allowing out of hours Sunday drinking - the case was dismissed.

It closed in 1970, and was demolished in 1972 for the St Thomas Shopping Precinct. The National West Bank, close to the railway viaduct now occupies the site.

Morning Star from 1889
Antelope Inn

Sidwell Street

Antelope Inn
The Antelope Inn existed in the middle of the 18th-century and may have been older. In May 1804 it was for sale with the landlord James Croad. An auction was held in the August, for what had become the New Antelope Inn. James Croad died in May 1808 and his widow continued to run the inn. The inn was for let in February 1812; it was probable that this was when Daniel Ross became landlord. Ross died in January 1822 after a long illness. In 1849 there was a County Court dispute between Harris and Boucher, in which the Antelope Inn was mentioned. In 1870 Charles Baskerville the landlord, was summoned for allowing gaming in his house, was found guilty, and fined 20s. The inn was for let in April 1878 "dwelling house, smithery, yard and large range of store attached having a coach entrance" It seems to have disappeared after this date.

Morning Star - on the same site
This public house had been in existence for some time when the license was transferred from Thomas Chattey to Mr George in 1889. In August 1891 the license was transferred from Thomas Lister to Frank Shooter Jn. (son of Hero of the Exe) Shooter transferred the license to Mr George Warmington in 1893. In the same year there was a case at the Guildhall, of drunken soldiers, that involved the Morning Star.

Mosaic

Mary Arches Street

See Butlers.

Moulders' Arms

West Street

Mentioned 1857 ref AER, fate unknown.

Mount Radford Inn
New Mount Radford Inn

Magdalen Road

See Mount Radford for a history.

Museum Hotel
Royal Albert Museum Hotel

Queen Street

Museum HotelThis hotel appears to have opened in September 1868 when Mr Alfred Wilson Hughes was granted a license. The business was not successful for by the next June there was a sale of stock and household goods followed by a notice of his bankruptcy. Mr W Roberts appears to have purchased the business for in 1870 he was praised for apprehending John King who stayed at the hotel, while on the run for embezzlement. The license was transferred to George Jury in February 1871.

In November 1871 "The Exeter City Cricket Club spent Monday evening most harmoniously at the Museum Hotel." George Jury was summoned in 1879 for allowing drunkenness.

By 1885, the next manager was Douglas Banfield, son of the owner of the Elmfield Hotel (Jolly Porter). Perhaps because trade was poor, he ran a series of adverts for the hotel in 1889. Banfield was still running the place in 1889. The last manager was Thomas Henry McCarthy. The hotel was demolished in 1926 for road widening and the site incorporated into the Paul Street bus station. The corner became the Official Information Bureau - see Harlequins.

New Bell ph

Quay

Only listing 1816. There was a New Bell Inn at Frog Street in April 1868 when three men threatened a riot in the inn, and threatened to knock the brains out of William Partridge, the landlord.

New Castle Inn

not known

The Flying Post reported in 1816 that the landlord had died, due to injuries incurred in a wrestling match.

New Cattle Inn ph

High Street

Only listing 1816, fate unknown.

New Coach and Horses

Sidwell Street

First listed in 1879, last listed in 1939, lost in 1942 blitz. One past landlord, Alf Green, was a retired Exeter City footballer.

New Found Out

South Street

Evidence it was a beershop, origin unknown, fate unknown.

New Golden Lion Hotel
aka Golden Lion 1878

Market Street

First listed in 1830, located at number 11, five doors away from the Dolphin. In 1878, the City Brewery leased the inn from J Hubbard for 14 years. In 1889, the freehold was purchased for £1,400. Lost in 1942 blitz. In 1951, £4,712 war damages were paid and the site sold in 1956 to ECC for £900. The licence was transferred to the Royal Oak Inn, Alphington St in 1952.

New Inn

Bartholomew Street

Only listing 1830, fate unknown.

New Inn

Church Road, Alphington

New InnThe earliest reference to an establishment with this name was in an advert in the Exeter Mercury during 1716 stating that Joseph Reynell had moved from the Seven Stars to the 'New In, nigh the Bridge End'. Whether this is the same as the New Inn that was built on the site of the first Post Office in Alphington, in 1872 is not confirmed. First listed in a directory in 1894/5. It was taken over by Charles Cole in 1890 - in 1923 his son Frederick Coles was running the place and was still listed in 1956.

New Inn

St Davids Hill

First listed in 1850, last listed in 1851.

New Inn
le Newe Inne

High Street/Catherine Street

See New Inn for a history.

London Inn 1936/87
New London Inn
on site of Oxford Inn

London Inn Square

See New London Inn for a history.

New Market Inn

Waterbeer Street

First listed in 1844. There is a reference in 1857 to the sale of a brewhouse and public-house referred to as the Market House Inn situated on the corner of Waterbeer Sreet and Goldsmith Street. It was owned by Mr Perry and occupied by Mr Wish at a rent of £4 annum. It was sold in the November as Perry's Market House Inn - it is probably the same. The New Market Inn was last listed in 1923, and closed in December 1940 ref GP.

Nobelsyn

n/k

Circa 1377, fate unknown.

North Bridge Inn
New Ship Inn
Bridge Inn 1873

St Davids Hill

See North Bridge Inn for a history.

North Devon Inn

Paul Street, south side

This inn was mentioned as early as 1681. It was in 1855 that the first mention in the Flying Post occurred when Leach's North Devon Inn held an inquest into the suicide of Mr William Wright. In 1858 a change of ownership is indicated by a sale of household furniture, stock and utensils including the beer engines pipes and casks. In January 1859 it was transferred from Mr James Tancock to Mr John Clark. It was for sale as Slade's North Devon Inn in 1863.

The theft of quart of beer was reported in September 1868 and the next year George Parsons was in charge of the inn. By 1878, Mr Hewer continued the trend of changes of landlord, but he was declared bankrupt by 1881 after he absconded. Mrs Franklin was the land lady by 1896.

The North Devon Inn was opposite the bus station, and was demolished for the Guildhall Centre Golden Heart project in the 1970s.

Northenhay

Northernhay Place

First listed in 1894/5, last listed in 1912, fate unknown.

Norton's Hotel
Victoria Hotel

Queen Street

Only listing 1894/5, fate unknown.

Nugget

94 Queen Street

This inn was situated as the "second house from Little Queen Street" according to A E Richardson, the last editor of the Flying Post. This was opposite the Higher Market. The first transfer was between Mr Langdon to Mr Stancombe in 1874. Then in May 1878, James Hall labourer was charged with stealing a silk umbrella from the Nugget, an offence for which he received one months' imprisonment. In September the next year, Mr Stancombe renewed the license, although his brother was the manager of the business. There was a change of manager for in June 1899, Mr James Farmer, landlord of the Nuggett was interred at Higher Cemetery age 67. Mr Hawkings became the landlord in November 1900. The establishment closed in 1917.

Oak Chair

n/k

Referred to as a public house, in a case of theft of a sovereign in 1864, when it was kept by a Mr SImmonds. This is the only reference and there is no mention of the street.

Oat Sheaf /Tavern
aka Oatensheaf

Fore Street - next to and below St Olaves Church

The oat market closed in 1733, so the inn pre-dates, rebuilt 1762 - listed 1816 while James Cossins lists a Holmes as the landlord around about 1827 when there was a cabinet maker on one side and a watch maker on the other. In March 1847, J B Roberts became the landlord, having previously been at the Ship Inn, Goldsmith Street. The house was suitable for 'agricultural gentlemen' due to its proximity to the corn market, and it also had a skittle alley. Flying Post reference on same site as Cider Shop 1844, last listed in 1878. The license lapsed in 1894 and it was demolished for chapel. Its name was derived from the oat market. It was noted as the inn where parish dinners were held on Ascension-day.

Oddfellows - 2006
Thirsty Camel
Gate 1993
Molloy's
Oddfellow's Arms

New North Road

See Oddfellows for a history.

Oddfellows'

Sidwell Street

First listed in 1871, fate unknown.

Okehampton Inn

Okehampton Street

First listed in 1816, sold at auction 1909, last listed in 1919, fate unknown.

Old Abbey Tea Gardens

Field Place, Quay

First listed in 1844, fate unknown.

Old Bell Tavern

Edmund Street, on the Old Bridge

First listed in a street directory in 1816. In April 1826, the marriage Mr Samuel Poole, dyer of Exe Island to Mrs Gove, widow of Mr Gove of the Old Bell took place at the Bridge Church (St Edmunds).

The inn was mentioned in an October 1833 inventory of Messrs Salter and Owen, when they are said to be willing to part with their interests in the Old Bell. The 52 years old landlord James Bedford, had a lease of 99 years. It was also mentioned in another inventory of 1844, as newly built, presumably meaning, rebuilt. An inquest was held at Versey's Old Bell on Old-bridge street into the death of a 60 year old woman named Mary Bent, who had drowned in the leat.

By January 1840 a sale or let advert appeared for the "old established and well-accustomed Public House - The Old Bell Inn, St Edmund Street, Exeter" as the landlord Mr Ganniclift was to retire. In April the next year there was an inquest into the drowning or a 3 year old boy. Situated as it was on the old bridge, it was used for many inquests into drownings. The Exeter Western Conservative Society had a meeting at Patey's Old Bell Inn during April 1842. The Commission of Improvements discussed the Old Bell Inn during February 1849 as they considered the narrow thoroughfare in front of the inn, that would become Edmund Street. In May they proposed to purchase the property for demolition for £250. In the same month, Grafton's Old Bell Inn was mentioned in a case of robbery. The end was in sight when in the June, compensation was agreed with Mr Grafton who was to quit by Midsummer and the inn was demolished.

Old Coach and Horses Inn 1859
Coach and Horses

Sidwell Street

This pub was formerly the Cadiz and Oporto Stores before it first listing in 1859 with W Walters as the landlord. In August 1865 the Ancient Order of Foresters (Court Bampfylde 2023) held their annivesary supper at Emmen's Old Coach and Horses. It was advertised for sale in 1866. The City Brewery purchased the freehold in 1919 for £1,500. Last listed in 1939 as Old Coach & Horses, and lost in 1942 blitz. In 1955 the site was sold to ECC for £8,250.

Old Fire House

New North Road

See Old Fire House for a history.

Old Golden Lion

Market Street

First listed in a street directory in 1816. In January 1824 it was mentioned in a to let notice in South Street with an "entrance from the Old Golden Lion to Sun-Lane".

Mr Charles Hutton was the landlord in March 1848, but in October 1849 a vagrant lad was found inside the Old Golden Lion who was suspected of committing a felony - Mrs Eddy was the landlady. September 1850 and George Eddy was fined 20s for opening on a Sunday. The house attracted bad behaviour and in March 1854 P C Martin was assaulted by Patrick Crawley. The next year and the house was for let, but minor thefts and drunkenness still occurred at the inn. In 1860, the landlord Mr Searle was involved in a case when Mr Radford took him to court over the recovery of the value of two empty casks, and in 1861 a case of stolen lead involving the house was heard.

A new landlord, Francis Sarrell did not improve the reputation of the place when he summoned William Stevens for abusive language, who was fined 10s or 14 days imprisonment in May 1862. In July 1866 the house was transferred from Mr Rattenbury to Mr J Phillips, as the previous landlord Mr Sarrell was declared bankrupt. 1868 was another year of petty crime at the Old Golden Lion with a case of stolen glasses, then John Gleeson was summoned for creating a disturbance and a further case of assault, all within a few months.

A to let notice appeared in February 1869 from Harding and Richards who must have been concerned about the reputation of the house. October 1869 there was a disturbance, in January 1870 a theft while at the Old Golden Lion, July and another theft, this time a watch, November and a case of disorderly conduct, then in 1874 and the landlord was summoned for opening out of hours and fined 10s. The proximity to the market obviously attracted trouble.

The license was transferred from Richard Brock to George Coembes in July 1877, but apart from a case of theft in 1879, there were no cases mentioned involving the house. Forward to September 1892 and an advert appeared for a servant at the Old Golden Lion.  Finally, in November 1899 a letter appeared in the Flying Post about a draw to raise money for the Devons in South Africa and the prize of tobacco had not been claimed - it was intended to sell it and add the money to the fund.

The Old Golden Lion was lost in the 1942 blitz.

Old Kings Head

Sidwell Street

Only listing1830, fate unknown.

Teignmouth Inn
Old Teignmouth Inn

Edmund Street

Old Teignmouth InnThe earliest listing I have, had J Keeth in residence in 1816, although Pring has a reference for October 1819. There is a reference to an inquest into the death of a 5 year old child, whose clothes caught fire, in 1855.

By the 20th-century, it was known as the Old Teignmouth Inn. This inn was on the corner of Ewings Lane and Edmund Street, just opposite the present House that Moved - the house, riding on rails, became caught on the edge of the kerb by the Teignmouth Inn, and a workman had to make some adjustments with a saw to free it. The house was closed on 30th November 1960 and sold to the City Council in May 1961, to allow the inner by-pass to be constructed. The mock Tudor, timber framed inn was demolished soon after.  The photo is one of the last taken of the inn, as it was in the process of being demolished in November 1961. Photo Dick Passmore.

Old Timers

Little Castle Street

Old TimersFormerly the Timepiece, it has been converted into a wine bar and restaurant - still trading. Was the venue for Joss Stone's 18th birthday party.

On the Waterfront

Exeter Quay

This pub and pizza restaurant is situated in the red sandstone warehouse built by Hooper's in 1835. The warehouses were converted in office and residential accommodation in 1988, and the ground floor opened as On the Waterfront. See Warehouses - Quay in Historic Buildings.

Oxford Inn

Northernhay Place, aka London Inn Square

First mentioned in 1696 for a "...pass and post warrant issued to James Johnson, master of the Oxford Inn to travel from Exeter to London". In May 1716, according to the Exeter Post-boy 'Mr Gregory Ben at the Oxford Inn in Exon' gave notice of a runaway boy. Almost fifty years later, in 1764 it was the venue for a meeting of the Ancient & Honourable Society of Truly British Arthurites (King Arthur). Benjamin Donn's 1765 map of Exeter indicates the position of the Oxford Inn in front of Hurt's Alms Houses facing the top of Longbrook Street. The inn was demolished in the early 1790's to make way for the New London Inn.

Pack Horse

St Davids Hill

Packhorse InnEstablished in 17th/18th Century as a halting place for pack-horses laden with wool from Crediton and Tiverton, and first listed in December 1814. It became a house of St Anne's Well Brewery. In 1958, the building was extensively modernised by the brewery. Put up for sale in 1994, it was closed and converted into a convenience shop. October 2007, the shop is closed and the premises for sale.

Pack Horse 

Cowick Street

Cowick InnNo 46 Cowick Street was Perriams the newsagent, but it closed in 2006. It was first listed in 1822 as the Packhorse Inn, and last listed in 1897.

Pack Horse 1758
Angel Inn

Goldsmith Street

The Western Post of February 1758 records the name change. Terminus for the Plymouth, Bristol, Oxford and Shepton Mallet carrier services - fate unknown.

Pack Horse ph

South Street

Only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Paper Makers' Arms

Exe Lane/Street

Paper Makers ArmsThe building was included in a lease of 99 years, on 11th June 1782, along with three other dwelling houses. A deed of 1814 refers to the premises as converted into a public house. First listed in 1822 and finally closed in the 1990's. When I went to photograph the building, I found that it had recently been demolished. Photo by S Creech.

Passage House Inn
Passage Inn

Ferry Road, Topsham

Passage House Inn, TopshamFirst listed in the 1830 Pigot's Directory with Philip Pyle in residence. There is evidence of an inn on this site from the early 1700's - the owner has the rights to a passage across the river. It is probably named after the mediaeval trade route that ran through Topsham, across the Exe via the ferry and on to Chudleigh. In January 1939, a 30 ft stone retaining wall at the rear collapsed into a 150 ton heap of earth and rubble. Wet weather and intermittent frosts were blamed for the collapse. Mrs Davies, the landlady was unhurt. Photo Sean Creech.

Pelican ph

n/k

Evidence of existence in 1814 ref AER, fate unknown. The Pelican was an emblem adopted by Thomas Cromwell - it was formerly used by the Church.

Pembroke Hotel

Bystock Terrace

First listed in 1967.

Pestle and Mortar

King Street

It was advertised for sale in 1811 and appeared in a listing 1816.  Mentioned in 1835 according to  A E Richardson, last editor of the Flying Post.

Peter Bell

Palace Gate

Passage House Inn, TopshamEvidence of existence in 1756 ref AER, a plan for a St Sidwell's feoffee shows the tavern next to the Palace Gate – the roadway narrowed to half the width of Palace Street for the gate, and the tavern blocked the other half. It was demolished in 1811 when the gate was removed. Named after a Cathedral bell.

Phoenix Inn

Goldsmith Street

Earliest reference I have found was when it changed ownership in 1726. It was offered for sale in 1801. Other events in the 19th-century –
28 Dec 1854 - Ann Punchard discharged for allegedly stealing two cups from inn.
18 Jan 1855 - Mary Ann Radford assaulted Thomas Jones at the Phoenix. She got three months hard labour - "That won't do me no good either." she stated.
21 March 1866 - Notice that a general meeting of the Operative Carpenters & Joiners of the City of Exeter & Vicinity will meet on 27 March regarding the Advance of Wages.
30 Sep 1866 - Mr W Jones 41 died at the Phoenix.
15 April 1868 - Arthur Connor and James Hooper fined 10s or week in prison for creating disturbance.
15 Jan 1869 - wife of Mr George Kallaway gave birth to a son
29 Mar 1871 - wife of Mr George Kallaway gave birth to a daughter
5 Aug 1899 - The landlady Mrs John Tapper died after lingering illness - she had been at the Phoenix for many years and left a husband and two daughters.

"Did a great business through the eighteenth century" W G Hoskins. It became a Devenish Pub, and after it closed, it was incorporated into Waltons when they opened a food department.

Phoenix Inn

High Street

This is probably the house referred to in the June 1723 issue of the Exeter Post-master as 'The House of Mt Matthew Atkinson, known by the sign of the Phoenix, in the City of Exon'. Later evidence of existence in 1755, and in 1768 it was listed in Fore Street ref AER. Benjamin Donn's 1765 map of Exeter shows the Phoenix Inn located next to the Swan Inn, on what is the modern site of Marks and Spencers.

Pit

Cowick Street - aka St Thomas' Street

Recorded in 1816, it was mentioned by James Cossins in 1877. He wrote "commencing at the Pit to the Church. No doubt many readers are not aware of the situation of the then Pit it was the site of the present railway station, and was about four feet below the roadway consisting of an inn, blacksmith's shop, and a dwelling house, almost adjoining Beaufort House, which was originally the County Gaol."

Plough

Fore Street

First listed in 1822, it was mentioned in Cossins list of 1827 with a landlord named Tapp. In November 1833, the inn comprising of a dwelling house, brew-house and cellars near the Corn market, and a dwelling-house and butcher's shop at the rear, and stabling adjoining the Butcher's Arms in Butcher-row was to be auctioned for building materials. The building was situated on the left, below Milk Street next to a narrow passage that led to Butchers Row. Last listed in a directory in 1859.

Plume of Feathers /Tavern

Lower North Street

Advert 1763 to let notice, listed 1816, listed 1859, fate unknown. This inn was one of several in Lower North Street that was frequented by visitors to Exeter market. Its name refers to the Prince of Wales

Plymouth Arms

Coombe Street

Recorded in 1846 ref AER, fate unknown.

Plymouth Arms

Waterbeer Street and North Street corner

First listed in 1853, last listed in 1859, fate unknown.

Plymouth Inn

Alphington Street

This to let notice appears in Andrew Brice's Old Exeter Journal of 1762 - "That antient, commodious, and well accustomed INN, known by the Sign of THE PLYMOUTH INN, situated in St Thomas the Apostle, near Exeter, with the large Stables, and other Conveniences thereto belonging." Benjamin Donn's 1765 map clearly shows the Plymouth Inn on the west side of Alphington Street, on the modern Riverside Leisure Centre site.

First listed in  a directory in 1816, it was included in a City Brewer inventory for 1833 with offices, stables, alley and gardens. The resident was a Mr Hex on a 2,000 year lease. In June 1904, the inn applied for retrospective planning permission to erect a sign. It was allowed as long as it conformed with regulations. It was last listed in 1967, demolished circa 1970 for road widening.

It was situated approximately where the Riverside Leisure Centre is now, beside a narrow lane that went back to Beaufort Road underneath the railway arches – the lane is still there from the back of the shopping centre to Beaufort Road.

Poltimore Arms

Main Road Pinhoe

Poltimore ArmsThe Poltimore Arms may have originally been named the Ship Inn, while it was previously the Bampfylde Arms. The key to the Tollhouse, close by, was kept in the Poltimore Arms, in the days when Main Road and Pinn Hill were part of the turnpike system. It is said that there was a Poltimore Arms in Poltimore, of which Lord Poltimore disapproved, due to his workers attending church while drunk. The pub was closed and the name transferred to the Bampfylde Arms, becoming the present Poltimore Arms. Bampfylde is also the family name of the Poltimores. The earliest listing in a trade directory was 1878.

Poltimore Inn/Tavern/Arms

Sidwell Street

First listed in 1816, last listed in 1897. The inn was purchased by St Anne's Well Brewery prior to 1889. The attached skittle alley was used as a rifle range by the GPO. In 1909 it was noted as owned by St Anne's Well Brewery when it applied for a renewal of its licence - there were objections due to a disputed right of way at the side of the inn, and the licence became redundant. The pub was also the headquarters of both the Tailors' Society and the St Sidwell's Bellringers' Society.

There was stabling for ten to twelve horses, and briefly, accommodation for several vehicles. It was sold in 1911/12 and became a motor dealers.

Port Royal

St Leonards Quay

See Port Royal for a history.

Post Office Inn

Fore Street - probably the High Street

First listed in 1822, last listed in 1830 Fore Street. A reference in April 1835 (AER). Note that there was a Post Office Inn situated in the High Street between the Three Tuns and Bedford Street by a passage that led to Bedford Street. The High Street was often referred to as the High Street at this time.

Premier Travel Inn
Exeter Moat House 1982
Countess Wear Hotel
Countess Wear Inn

Topsham Road

Countess Wear HotelThe first record of this inn's existence was a To Let notice in 1818. It was first listed in 1830, this inn was originally much closer to the river. Rebuilt circa 1935 on relocated site, when the A379 was improved to take traffic around Exeter, still trading. Photo Sean Creech.

In the days of brewery owned pubs it was owned by Truman, Hanbury & Buxton who also owned Hexters Vaults, or the Long Bar, in North Street.

Prince Albert

Rack Street

First listed in 1850, last listed in 1894/5, fate unknown.

Prince of Wales ph

Preston Street

Only listing 1859, fate unknown. The Prince of Wales referred to was Edward VII.

Prince of Waterloo ph

South Street - Bell Hill

1816 for sale or let notice, fate unknown.

Prospect Inn
Fountain Inn 1957

Quay

See Prospect Inn for a history.

Puffing Billy
Railway Inn

Exton Topsham

First listed in 1878, last listed 1919, now trading as the Puffing Billy.

Queen Adelaide

Haven Banks

First listed in 1833, listed 1850.

Queen Caroline

West Street or Preston Street?

Only listing 1822, fate unknown. May have existed briefly in Blackamoor's Head premises AER

Queen Victoria

Tudor Street
Exe Island

See Queen Victoria for a history.

Queen Victoria

South Street

Recorded in 1842 ref AER, only listing 1850, fate unknown.

Queens Hotel

Queen Street

Queens HotelThe first record is an advert from July 1852 with Paul Collings, former landlord of the Black Horse. Colling's added in his advert of the "ECONOMIST Omnibus to and from the Station, for the arrival and departure of all Trains." Collings retired in 1858 and his son-in-law, Mr I W West took charge. Henry Hexter took on the hotel in June 1874. Last listing 1967 as a hotel. It was refurbished in 1978, at a cost of £400,000 as Queen's Vault cellar bar, retail and office accommodation - now Cafe Rouge and Vaults.

Queen's Court Hotel
Bystock Hotel

5 Bystock Terrace

Queens CourtAppeared in a 1930 advert in a city guide as the Bystock Hotel. In 1945, John Henry Speller acquired the hotel. His son Tony Speller ran it for four years after his national service in the 1950s. Speller went on to become the MP for North Devon, defeating Jeremy Thorpe in the 1979 General Election. The Bystock was damaged by fire in 1992, taken over and renamed the Queen's Court Hotel in 1999. Photo Sean Creech. Bystock means 'three wells'.

Queen's Head P.H. /Tavern

Edmund Street

First listed in 1844, last listed 1923, fate unknown. The Queens Head generally refers to Elizabeth Ist.

Queens Head ph

South Gate "near adjoining"

In 1767 there was a to let notice with the resident named as George Criddle. Its only listing was in 1816, fate unknown.

Queens Vaults
Vaults

Gandy Street

Queens VaultsSituated in the cellar of the old Queen's Hotel. See Queen Hotel for history for more.

Race Horse Inn

Paris Street

Only listing 1850, fate unknown.

Railway Inn

Cowick Street

First listed in 1889, closed by the City Brewery in March 1939. Building used by the City council during the war.

Railway Inn

Topsham

The license was transferred in October 1873 from Mrs Haydon to William Rattenbury and the next year, Mrs Rattenbury was assaulted. In January 1875 William Rattenbury and Elizabeth Rattenbury were summoned for refusing tadmittance to PC Creedy, when he heard sound of quarrel on the premises. The couple were fined and the Rattenbury's reprimanded for allowing the behaviour on their premises.

According to a newspaper article, this pub collapsed one Sunday night - the report put the collapse down to the Devil intervening in a game of cards - some will believe anything! The building never reopened as a pub after it was repaired.

Railwayman
Queens Head ref GP

Pinhoe Road

Railwayman InnListed in 1967 as the Queen's Head. It was firebombed in December 1995, sustaining minor damage. Trading as the Railwayman. During a lengthy trial, in 1975 at Exeter Crown Court, involving eight local people charged with a conspiracy to defraud Marks and Spencers, much reference was made to the then Queens Head. Niel Butterfield, Prosecuting Counsel (now Mr Justice Butterfield,  a Lord of Appeal) referred to it as the "Shoplifters Arms" a name that stuck for a long time.

Red Cow

Red Cow Village

See Red Cow for a history.

Red Cow

Sidwell Street

December 1816 ref GP, and listed in 1830. It appeared in the City Brewery inventory of  1833 with Leonard Heal in residence with a 23½ year lease to run. It was owned by the Vicars Choral.

Red Lion Hotel/Inn

Eastgate - near

Recorded in 1764 ref AER, fate unknown. The second most popular pub name in England. Possibly first adopted as an inn sign after Henry V at Agincourt - Cardinal Wolsey also issued licences for the Red Lion, his favourite sign.

Red Lion Inn

High Street

This inn was situated next to St Lawrence Church at 247 High Street. It was mentioned in a will of 1606 as the 'Red Lion in the Parish of St Lawrence in the city of Exeter'. In 1821 it was noted that it had been converted into a bakers shop and premises and is now in the occupation of Thomas Gouch (D&CN&Q). It eventually became the site of the Devon and Somerset Stores, only to be destroyed in the May 1942 blitz.

Red Lion Hotel/Inn

Sidwell Street

First listed in 1816, this pub was situated nearly opposite the Sidwell Street Methodist Church. In May 1898, the Red Lion, walled garden, eight brick-built cottages, a dwelling house and shop were auctioned, being the estate of the late Mrs E A Chown. The inn and brewhouse was sold for £2,550. An advert in a 1910/11 season programme for Exeter City FC states that Oliver's Red Lion was 'the headquarters of the Exeter City Football Club, two minutes walk from the football ground'. A photograph from 1910 shows the Red Lion with an alley on the right leading to Red Lion court. Lost in 1942 blitz.

Red Lion Inn

Magdalen Street

Red Lion CourtFirst listed in 1816, it was demolished by the time An Account of Exeter's Merchant Adventurers appeared with an illustration by George Townsend, right, in 1873. Situated in Red Lion Court off Magdalen Street.

Red Lyon

Alphington

This pub was situated north of the Vernons Head (Church House), according to a Courtenay map of 1762.  A 1773 Courtenay lease mentions that it was formerly Skinner's Cottage before it was leased to Thomas Sarell, yeoman when it became the Red Lion. By 1779 his wife and daughter were in possession. William Blatchford, victualler and basket maker was the lessee in 1784. It passed on to James Wippell, maltster in 1796. A further lease of 1826 indicates the Red Lion was a former public house–by 1872 it was leased for 63 years. There is still a Red Lion cottage in Alphington.

Retreat Inn

Barrack Road

From 1856, John Berry was the proprietor and his father the owner. In 1866 it suffered a fire which was tackled by the brigades from the West of England, Norwich, Sun and Royal. Much of the furniture was saved. It was rebuilt and John Berry requested an extended licence for spirits. It was for sale in 1873, apparently as the result of a court case of Jerred v Berry. Described as "a dwelling house known as 'The Retreat Inn' with garden, skittle alley and premises". and not to appear again in the Flying Post after this date. In a case of indecent assault in 1863, the accused "tried to get her up a lane leading to the Retreat Inn" next to the prison. This would suggest that the inn was situated on the corner of Prison Lane and Howell Road.

Richmond

Richmond Road

First listed in 1967, maybe the Bendene Hotel

Ring of Bells /Tavern

West Street or Westgate

Although only open for about 20 years, this public house gained a reputation for bad behaviour.  Its first mention was in 1851 when the landlady Ann Esworthy with others, was charged with assaulting a child. In March 1854, the new landlord, Mr Britton was assaulted, and in the August a brooch was stolen from Mrs Ann Briton. In the October the license was transferred from Thomas Britton to William Thomas.

In January 1855 William Thomas got off to a good start when he was summoned for assault and  fined 10s. January 1856, and he was charged with keeping a disorderly house "...a  number of men and women-including known disorderly characters, girls of ill-fame, and two ticket-of-leave convicts-were found drinking in one and the same room." and fined 5s. In February 1856 there was a sale of 60 hogshead of rich and mellow cider leaving Charlotte Zelley drunk and disorderly at the Ring of Bells in 1858 - strong stuff. The next year and Harriet Thomas was assaulted and there was also the theft of a pair of shoes.

By December 1862 the new landlord, Francis Seward was charged with keeping a disorderly house, before his license had even been transferred from Thomas. Then a series of to let adverts between June and August 1863 appeared. December 1863, and there was a sale of stock in trade furniture, fixtures and fittings plus brewing equipment. They eventually found a new landlord as the Ring of Bells was mentioned in April 1865, in another case of violent assault, followed by a case of theft. Mr Lee was the landlord in 1871 when the public house was again mentioned in a case at the Guildhall and in the same year, the license lapsed, never to be renewed.

Rising Sun Inn

Russell Street

First listed in 1833, The City Brewery purchased the lease for £350 in 1878 and the freehold for £800 in 1880. The tenant was fined in 1941 for allowing betting on the premises. It was lost in the blitz. In 1953, £2,175 was paid for war damage and in 1955 the site sold to ECC for £250. The licence was transferred to the Horse & Groom, Longbrook Street in 1952. The Rising Sun is a Royal badge.

Riverside Hotel & Cafe

Exe Bridge

Origin unknown, fate unknown.

Rococco
Mosaic
Butler
Firkin 1991
Tavern in the Town
White Lion 1967
White Ball
Golden Ball

Mary Arches Street

site of the acorn innIn the 19th Century two public houses stood close to each other in Mary Arches Street - The White Ball and Golden Ball. They along with the buildings between, became the site of the present building. In 1956 the near end of the building in the photo, was Stones the Chemist, who had lost their premises in Fore Street in the May 1942 blitz, and had moved into the building just after the war. The far section was Leornard Born, cycle agent, the London Electric Wire Co and AEI Lamp and Lighting Company. By 1967 Stones had left to be replaced by the White Lion restaurant and Tommy Sandersons shirt manufacturers, a ladies hairdresser and AEI were occupying the northern end. Now, the whole building is a public house. It was renamed Mosaic in early 2008, with a modern look as cross between a coffee shop and pub.

The Rolling Pin, Chopping Knife

Unknown

This strangely named drinking stablishment was mentioned in the Social History of the Southern Counties when a Mr Roberts spoke to an old woman who mistakenly thought he ran a string of packhorses. She ".. warmly recommended, as a house where I should find good treatment, The Rolling Pin, Chopping Knife, Exeter." (D&CN&Q) There was a Chopping Knife in Honiton, so this could be a case of mis-placement.

Rose & Crown

High Street, opposite St John's Hospital

Only listing 1839, fate unknown. The name is associated with the Tudors.

Rose & Crown

Waterbeer Street

The only mention of this public house in Waterbeers Street is in a case of theft of a pair of shoes in March 1841.

Round Tree Inn

Frog Street

See Round Tree Inn for a history.

Royal Clarence Hotel 1830
Clarence Hotel 1827
Phillip's Hotel 1799
Thompson's Hotel 1788
Cadogan Hotel
The Hotel 1770

Cathedral Yard

See Royal Clarence Hotel for a history.

Royal George Inn

Coombe Street
aka Rock Lane
or
Quay Hill

First listed in 1816, the Royal George staged a regatta on the river in 1846. In November 1852 there was an inquest on the body of boy named Bartram, who drowned when his boat sank.
The public house had several sales of cider - sale of 10 hogshead of cider, sale of cider apples and bruised malt apples. The was a case of fraud against a sergeant of the marines by Mr W Pike, the landlord in 1850. An inquest in My 1863 was held on the body of Edward Storer who fell overboard from his ship at the Quay and drowned. In January 1865 the Royal George was for let as the proprietor, Mr William Pike had died.

The new landlord Mr Barrett, was bankrupt by February 1868 and there was a sale of household goods, hogsheads of beer, brewing equipment etc. The license lapsed in 1872. The Royal Oak closed and in March 1892, a sale of the Custom House Inn with 2 cottages, formerly one house known as the Royal George Inn on Quay Hill took place.

Royal Mail Coach
Mail Coach

Sidwell Street

Mentioned January 1822 ref GP and in 1835 ref AER. See Mail Coach above.

Royal Oak Inn

Fore Street / Milk Street

It was let for £60 in 1690 on a 31 year lease which was renewed 1718/9 for £34 10s clear of rates. (D&CN&Q) First listed in  a directory in 1816, last listed in 1923, fate unknown.

Royal Oak Inn

Okehampton Street

See Royal Oak Inn for a history.

Royal Oak P.H.

Guinea Street

First listed in 1816. It was recorded as cellar, stable, storehouse and garden in the Parish of St George bounded by Preston Street and Smythen Street when it was purchased by Harding and Richards in 1821. Last listed in 1897.

Royal Oak Tavern

Fore Street, Heavitree

Royal OakFirst listed in 1844, it was badly bombed damaged in the blitz and rebuilt after the war. Listed in the 1972 Kellys, - still trading.

Royal Oak

Alphington Street

First listed in 1894/5, last listed 1967, it was one of the properties flooded out in 1960. A City Brewery public house, it was situated opposite Pike's Garage (now the RThiverside Leisure Centre), on the corner of Haven Road. The Royal Oak closed in 1968 and was demolished for road widening, circa 1970.

The Rummer Tavern

Cathedral Close

In January 1721, Andrew Brice's Post-master ran a notice for an auction for some property at Duryard that was part of the estate of Sir Thomas Jefford who had died in 1703. There were further adverts in Exeter newspapers in 1728 and 1752. The Brice's Old Exeter Journal published this advert in 1752 - "Advert. for letting the RUMMER TAVERN in St Peter's Churchyard; Enquire of Mr. George Carwithen Tobacconist. The Widow, Webber is the present tenant". It is not known when this house closed.

The Rusty Nail

Howell Road

See Rusty Nail for a full history.

Page 1 -  A to D       Page 2 - E to L      Page 3 -  M to R      Page 4 - S to Z

This list is as complete as I can make it - new establishments and data will be added when found. All dates are the earliest or latest that I have seen - many pubs are older than indicated by the trade directories or the date I have researched. Current pub count 470. Some pubs may be duplicates - it is not always possible to trace name changes.

If you know any other information or have a photo of a pub please email me. This list has been compiled from hundreds of hours of research - use of small extracts in other websites and publications is prohibited unless there is a clear acknowledgement to Exeter Memories and David Cornforth of the material.

Note on sources - the sources for this section are the various trade directories, plus books by Robert Dymond, W G Hoskins, Maryanne Kowaleski, Robert Newton, Todd Gray, Hazel Harvey, Thomas/Warren, Stanton and Todd, Andrews, Elston and Shiel, John Willing and the Exeter City Council history website. The Express & Echo, Exeter Gazette and Trewman's Exeter Flying Post archives at the West Country Studies Library including notes of A E Richards, and maps including tithe and insurance at the Records Office were all invaluable. Geoffrey Prings History of the Exe Island and City Brewery. With thanks to Robin Quant.
If you want to view my Guestbook and leave a comment, please click Guestbook All the photos in Exeter Memories are © 2005 David Cornforth and should not be used without permission. However, they are available for use in other websites and printed leaflets, brochures and adverts - Contact me for information on availability and cost. I also have a large library of photos that do not appear on this site.

Top of Page