Loading

Logo ForumForum and contact EMail

Buy for £2 an INSTANT DOWNLOAD
Choose from Exeter Maps or two eBooks and help pay for running the site
Buynow

Exeter Pub List  

Last update 8th January 2013    

Page 1 -  A to D       Page 2 - E to L      Page 3 -  M to R      Page 4 - S to Z

Pub - Hotel Name previous names

Street and area

Evidence of existence, notes and date closed

Sadler's Arms

Cowick Street

Only listing 1859, fate unknown.

Salmon Pool

Alphington

Its only listing was in 1878, possibly because it sold beer for a short time. In 1827, the Salmon Pool teahouse was mentioned in the Flying Post with the cryptic comment "some sort of public-house". There are several more mentions related to it being a place that is used for recreation in the summer months as a teahouse. There was an inquest held there, into a drowning in Duck's Marsh, during 1879. Then in 1883, it was reported that Salmon Pool House, a quaint old thatched house known as a pleasant summer resort was destroyed by fire. It was the property of the Earl of Devon and on the Alphington side of the river.

Salutation Hotel

Fore Street Topsham

See Salutation for a history.

Salutation Inn

Eastgate - in the towers and over

Salutation InnSituated over and in the towers of the Eastgate, probably from 1511-13 when the Eastgate was rebuilt. The Eastgate was demolished in 1784. The name derived from the Angel's salutation of the Virgin.

Sawyers' Arms Tavern

Preston Street

It was first listed in an 1816 directory. It was used for many Coroner's inquest's, the first of which was recorded in October 1850. In the 1850's and up until 1871 Mrs Grace Tucker ran the place, then the license was transferred to W A E Stabback. In October 1880, the license was transferred from Mrs Burt to Francis Carpenter. In July 1882, Mr Carpenter announced he was leaving Exeter and a sale of furniture and brewing utensils was advertised in the Flying Post. Traded through the 20th century and was demolished post 1960, when this part of Exeter was being rebuilt after the 1942 bombing.

Sawyers' Arms

Cowick Street

Sawyers ArmsThe Sawyers Arms was mentioned in 1849 when a vendor of vegetables was accused of evading the toll at Dunsford Gate. First listed in 1850 as a beer house, this pub was originally a small cottage. In 1882, Edward Callicutt was charged with refusing to leave the Sawyers Arms – the landlord made a strong case that the defendant was a repeat offender, resulting in a high fine of £3 or a month in prison. 

In 1911 it was taken over by a brewery. In the mid 1920's the adjoining cottage was added and it formally became a public house. When Cowick Street was being rebuilt after the war, it was replaced in 1966, by a new building on a different site. In April 2009, to the surprise of some, J D Wetherspoon's announced that they had taken on the Sawyer's Arms. They spent £900,000 refurbishing the pub, and created new 20 jobs.

The name relates to sawing, and the pub is internally decorated with circular saw and saw teeth motifs.

Sea Horse

South Street - behind the Mitre Tavern

Brice's Weekly carried this advert in 1728 "Advert. Shadrach Radford one of the City Waits & Trumpet (?) has taken the house at present kept by the widow Coker, known by the sign of the Sea Horse in the lane wherein is the Mitre Tavern. Back door in Exon." Fate unknown.

Seven Stars Hotel

Okehampton Street & Alphington Road

See Seven Stars for a history.

Seven Stars ph

George Street

Only listing 1816, fate unknown. The name may be Masonic in origin - it could also refer to the Great Bear constellation.

Seven Stars ph

Sidwell Street

Only listing 1851, fate unknown.

Seven Stars

off Fore Street, Topsham

This private house was formerly a cider house. It is situated in a little lane that leads from the southern end of the churchyard.

Shakespeare Inn

Bonhay Road

See the Shakespeare Inn for a history.

Shakespeare's Head

Eastgate - near

Existed in 1735 ref AER, fate unknown.

Shakespeare Inn

Haven Banks

Mentioned Flying Post 1769 ref AER, fate unknown.

Ship Inn

Martins Lane

See the Ship Inn for a history.

Ship Inn
Ship in Dock

Strand, Topsham

Pigot's Directory of 1830 lists the Ship in Dock with Jane Rew in residence. The later 1839 Robson's Directory has John Gullock in the tenancy. In July 1853, Mrs Gullock was in residence when the inn and an attached coal business was advertised for let. The landlord in 1857, William Wheaton was fined 20s with 8s 6d expeneses for selling beer out of hours. In May the next year the license was transferred to Aaron Ware who was previously at the Sun Inn, Topsham. In 1870, Mr Ware erected a refreshment tent on the occasion of the annual Artillery Encampment on Woodbury Common; he was joined by tents from other local public houses. The house was up for let in May 1893, and the license transferred from Mt George Wannell to Mr James Wills in the August.

The skittle alley was formerly used as a place to hold convicts awaiting transportation to the colonies. Topsham was the main port of embarkation for those convicted at the Exeter Assizes. The building has been converted into a dwelling and is situated between no 1 and 3 The Strand along with a second unnumbered property which was a ships' smith in 1839.

Ship Aground

Fore Street, Topsham

An advert for September 1815 has the Ship Aground for sale, with a rental of £28 per year paid by the occupier Mrs Pridham. There are no other entries in the Flying Post during the 19th century. Now a health food shop, and has been a bakers.

Ship
Ship & Pelican

Fore Street Heavitree

See Ship & Pelican for a history.

Ship

Alphington Street

This may have started life as the West Indies Inn (see entry below) First listed in 1816. In March 1841 Mr Ash the landlord gave evidence against Mr Thomas Laskey who tried to sell him a sack of wheat, stolen from Mr Hooper, thinking it was barley. Laskey and a second man, John Jackman was found guilty. In September 1863, Mr W B Twitchen announced that he was the new landlord. He offered, in addition to the facilities of the rebuilt inn that he would continue his business of slate, stone and cement merchant from the premises.

In 1865, James Arthur was fined 15s and expenses for refusing to quit the inn. A liquidation sale by Fulfords was advertised in June 1876 for the stock-in-trade brewing utensils, furniture etc. "George Lear, Charlotte Arscott, Eliza Salmon, Richard Knowles and William Peach of the Ship Inn were charged with unlawfully throwing rockets and other fireworks in the street of St Thomas on the night of the 5th November." Mr Peach, the landlord, was dismissed and the others fined 6d with 7s 6d costs. A fire in the hayloft in July 1890 was extinguished by the fire brigade without much damage. The landlord was Mr W H Oliver. The Ship was still listed in 1897.

Ship

Goldsmith Street

First listed in 1816, there was an advert in May 1840 for a property auction at Pedrick's Ship Inn. The body of carpenter John Harris, a member of the order of Oddfellows was 'lain in state' at Brother J B Roberts' the Ship Inn, Goldsmith Street. The house was a regular venue for Oddfellows meetings. In March 1847, Roberts moved to the Oat Sheaf in Fore Street. In November 1849, the police were called to a fight; when the officer arrived the belligerents were cleaning the blood from themselves at the pumps and worse the wear for drink. The officer decided they had already had enough and left them to clear up. The new landlord in May 1853 was T Odgers Jun, having taken over from Mrs Nobbs. In 1859, Mr Odgers won compensation of £1 from Mr Webber, a fly driver who had broken several panes of glass when attempting to turn the fly in the narrow Goldsmith Street.

Mr John Dadds took on the license from Mr Fisher in 1864 and in September 1868, Thomas J Halse, furniture broker of North Street became the landlord and announced a clearing out sale of his furniture. In November, Halse took Mr Rattenbury, the former landlord to court over the appointment of a referee who would oversee the transfer. Halse won, and was awarded 40s. By 1872, Mr George Westlake was landlord. There are no more entries after 1875 in the Flying Post.

Showman
The Road House
Prince Albert Tavern
Lamb and Lion 1816

Cowick Street

See Showman for a history.

Silent Woman

Longbrook Street

There is only one reference in the Flying Post to this establishment in 1849, when Jarman's Silent Woman is noted as a beer house. Good Woman, Quiet Woman and Silent Woman all relate to a 'headless' woman, the sign of an oilshop (paint shop).

Smiths' Arms
The Chair

Waterbeer Street - also known as Theatre Street

The Flying Post printed an advert for the return of a "BROWN PACKTHREAD PURSE Containing about Twelve or Thirteen Pounds in Money" lost in the Chair during 1768. Listed 1816 and purchased by Harding and Richards. Last listed as the Chair in 1830, and first listed 1850 as the Smiths' Arms. In 1862, Thomas Lee created a disturbance and struck the landlord Mr William Somers, to be fined 5s. It appears that the license lapsed for in 1866, a Mr Brice applied for a license, as the previous license 3 to 4 years past, was lost due to the misconduct of the previous landlord - refused.

Smiths' Arms

Mary Arches Street

First listed in a street directory in 1822, and last listed in 1830. It does not appear in the Flying Post.

South Devon Railway Inn

Cowick Street

In 1868, William Godfrey, the landlord was assaulted by Thomas Mudge when he refused him a drink as he was already drunk. Mudge struck him in the face and stomach and was fined 15s 6d.
Then in 1874, William Godfrey was charged with assaulting man called Daniel, by preventing him leaving, after a dispute over unpaid drinks while gambling on a game of skittles. Daniel won damages of 40s. It was listed in 1878.

Southgate Hotel 1996
Forte Crest 1992

Southernhay

See Southgate Hotel for a history.

Spirit Vaults

49 South Street

First listed in 1856. White's 1878 lists John Yelland in occupancy. This pub occupied a building at the bottom of South Street which was demolished in the late 1960's and replaced by a flat roofed pair of shops, just inside the city wall. The landlord of the London Ale House temporarily ran the place while the Ale House was demolished and rebuilt as the Mitre.

Spotted Dog

Lower North Street

Nothing is known about this inn, apart from a mention by Peter Thomas of its existence. He may have mistaken it for the Black Dog.

St Loyes Hotel

Salters Road

St Loyes public houseThe site was purchased in June 1935 and opened in December 1936 by Norman & Pring. It has recently been closed, and boarded up.

St Olaves Court Hotel

Mary Arches Street

St Olaves HotelThe old rectory, built in 1837 by James Golsworthy, was purchased in 1983 for £8,000 and converted into this exclusive hotel. It has since changed hands several times. James Golsworthy introduced the first iron pipe water system in England, during 1811.

Stage Wagon ph

Paris Street

Only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Star and Garter

Exe Bridge

See Star and Garter for a history.

Star Hotel

Fore Street, adjacent to St John's Bow

The earliest mention of the Star Inn was in 1680. In 1687, a gift of 40 shillings annually from the rent of the Starr Inn was given by John Read to the Worshipful Company of Weavers, Fullers and Shearmen of Exeter. The inn was often referred to in the Company's Minute Books because it was nearly opposite Tuckers Hall and a convenient place for meetings not held at the hall. Auctions were also held there when the seized goods of Freemen who had failed to pay a fine were sold. The inn was one of several meeting places for the Masonic Lodge, St. John, No. 70, in Exeter, The Lodge first met as a civilian Lodge in Exeter in 1759, and many members would have been involved in the Company. In 1825, Avice Salter, a widow was proprietress of the inn and paid an annuity of 40s that was distributed in half-crowns to recipients of a charity. Through the middle years of the 19th-century it was a regular venue for property auctions. The hotel was put up for sale in 1855, by the widow and family of Mr John Taylor.

The earliest listing of the inn was in 1796, and the last listing in 1859. The building on the site was listed as an ironmonger in 1897.

Steam Packet
Red Lion Inn 1830

Topsham Quay/Monmouth Hill

See Steam Packet for a history.

Stoke Arms

Prince Charles Road

Stoke ArmsNewly built in the early 1950's, this pub is owned by the City Council on a 99 year lease who let it to Enterprise Inns. The current licensee is Brian Acreman from June 2007. There is a car park at the rear with space for 18 cars. In October 2007, the council proposed to paint double yellow lines outside the pub to improve the flow of buses, thus losing 20 parking spaces in the service road in front of the Stoke Arms.

Sulle's

Butcher's Row

Mentioned in Flying Post as a beerhouse, 1788 ref AER n/l.

Summerland Inn

Summerland Street

In the 1880's, part of the premises on the ground floor known as the Crescent, was used for the distribution of hot pea soup to the poor of St Sidwell's Parish. The soup was served from a wooden tank lined with polished sheet iron mounted on an old, four wheeled wagon. The driver of the wagon was Harry Lamacroft of Summerland Street, who filled the tank with soup from the Lower Market. By 1897, Lamacroft was running the Globe Inn in Clifton Road.

First listed in 1889. The lease was purchased by the City Brewer in April 1902 for £65 and the freehold in August 1903 for £700. In 1907 the brewery spent £950 reconstructing the inn. It was lost in the 1942 blitz. In November 1950 the brewery were paid £2,900 by the War Damge Commission and the site sold to the City Council for £200 in August 1955.

Sun and Stars

Okehampton Street

Only listing 1878, fate unknown. The name is heraldic, but it can refer to the Distillers' Company.

Sun Inn

Sun Street or Lane

First listed in 1816. The City Brewery took a lease for 7 years from 1861 - it was considered for closure in July 1916 on the grounds that 'within 200 yds there were 19 other pubs'. Norman and Pring requested at the time £3,026 16s compensation. The licence was made redundant in 1917 and the property sold in 1940. The building was lost in the 1942 blitz.

On 15th January 1834, a secret attempt was made to form a trade union by James Stoddard and Daniel Gill of the Building Trade in the Sun Inn. The Mayor discovered that 'assemblies of a secret kind' were to take place. The police hid in the next room and drilled a hole through the wall to spy on the meeting. Up to 60 men assembled for the meeting, to be initiated into the union. The police forced the door of the room and arrested nearly 40 men, who were taken before the Mayor. Fifteen men were sent to the Assizes on a charge of 'combining and confederating themselves together for the purpose of effecting and unlawful object.' The men were bound over and freed, unlike the Tolpuddle Martyrs who were transported for seven years. Although Trade Unions had been legalised in 1825, it wasn't until March 1862 that the Operative Bricklayers Society was formed in Exeter. It initially met in the Britannia Inn, South Street before moving to the Valiant Soldier.

Sun Inn

Cowick Street

First listed in 1816, last listed 1923.a

Sun Inn

High Street Topsham

First listed in 1878, last listed 1897, closed in October 1912 as the license was redundant, and sold to Mr Baker in March 1913.

Sun

Eastgate

Brice's Weekly published this advert in 1772 "Advert, Newcomb's Bath & Bristol Stage Coach with six able horses in Three Days, Hath already begun to set out from the sign of the Sun at Eastgate, Exon, Every Monday Morning." Fate unknown.

Suttonsysyn
aka Suttons Ynne

n/k

Circa 1377/81, fate unknown.

Swan Tavern

High Street/Queen Street

There is a reference in an advert to the Swan Inn in the Exeter Post-master of 26th July 1723. Benjamin Donn's map of Exeter of 1765 clearly shows the Swan Inn next to, and north east of the Phoenix Inn – it was first listed in a city directory in 1796. Situated down the Swan passage which was the entrance to the fish, potato and oat markets. James Cossin wrote in 1877 of his memories of the Swan, 50 years before - " ... Then malt and brew house of the celebrated Swan Tavern, which extended to about Mr Brown's, and over which was a large room, supported by four very large wooden pillars, extended to about halfway across Queen Street. This room was used for sale, panoramas, and fancy fairs &c., the entrance was from High Street through Miss Strong's passage, now the path adjoining Mr Stiles. The above Tavern was noted for good home-brewed beer. It was a great resort at lunch time for the tradesmen, who enjoyed their glass, with cakes, oysters, or cockles; also a nightly resort to enjoy a pipe and song. In this room called a snuggery, was an old oak chair, elevated about two feet from the ground. On the upper rim was painted and gilded the words "God save the King." After the chairman had formally taken his seat, any party on entering the room and not taking his hat off, was politely told if he did not, his companywould not be agreeable." 

It was a venue in the early years of the 19th-century for sales, especially of standing timber. The tavern was going to be sold by auction in 1817, but it was postponed for some reason and there is no evidence that it took place. One interesting auction at the Swan was for a lot of elegant italian marble chimney pieces. Demolished in 1834 for building Queen Street.

Swan Tavern

Catherine Street

First listed in 1844, the inn was a City Brewery house in September 1890. In 1905, there were two planning applications for the premises by the brewery, Norman and Pring - the first was to rebuild the first floor baywindows, and the second to install a hinged flap in the pavement, to allow the lowering of barrels into the cellar - both were granted. The inn was listed as a freehold property of Norman and Pring in 1911. It was sold to Mr Plummer in June 1923 to become part of Colson's, now the House of Fraser. The Swan sign is that of the Cary family.

Swan

Cowick Street

The first listing in a street directory was in 1822. In 1857, a notice appeared that stated it had been taken by George Timewell, late inspector of the county constabulary. The notice places the public house five doors from St Thomas Railway station. It was on the northern side of Cowick Street, opposite the modern, St Thomas Library. There is still a Swan Yard behind, which can be reached from Okehampton Street. It was listed in the 1923 Kellys but was gone by the Second World War.

Tabert Inn

Fore Street

Belonging to the Priory of Totnes it was first mentioned in 1433 in St Olaves Parish. In 1526 the Bailiff of St Nicholas' Fee received 2 shillings and sixpence as rent for a garden attached to the property. D&CN&Q

Talbot

Sidwell Street

In March 1868 Thomas Shapley of Bartholomew Street, late of the Talbot Inn was declared bankrupt. An early Express and Echo article stated that the Talbot was on the site of the Morning Star/Antelope Inn - however, for the period that Thomas Shapley was running the Talbot, the Antelope Inn was still in existence.

Talbotysyn

n/k

Circa 1377, fate unknown.

Tailors' Arms Tavern

WQ Preston Street

First listed in 1822, last listed 1850, fate unkown.

Talbotysyn

n/k

Circa 1377, fate unknown.

Tally Ho Inn
Oddfellows' Arms
The Globe Inn

Countess Wear Road

Tally Ho InnOriginally named the Globe, it was first listed as the Oddfellows Arms from 1894/5 to 1939 and listed in 1956 as the Tally Ho Inn.

Temperance Hotel

Lower Market

First listed in 1856, listed 1859.

Thatched House

Exwick Road

See Thatched House for a history.

Thistle Hotel 2002
Rougemont Hotel 1877

Queen Street

See Thistle Hotel for a history.

Three Cranes

South Street

It was first listed in 1822. In May 1845, there was a bankruptcy sale of seven freehold houses on behalf of John Holman. By 1855 it was owned by Mr Pain. The millers of Exeter met there in 1857 to form the Millers and Cornworkers Sack Protection Society to prevent the loss of corn and flour sacks. John Pain announced dissolving partnership with brother but would continue in 1859 and then in 1866 Mark Helmore was in charge. The same year the Exeter Philanthropic Society had its annual meeting at the Three Cranes.

Mark Helmore Junior was charged in 1868 with creating a disturbance at the public house and went to prison for 6 weeks. In 1870, Mark Helmore Sen applied to renew his license. He wanted to build tap at rear in Guinea Street and was told he could renew his license if he did not open the tap. Mark Helmore was charged with brewing without giving notice to the Inland Revenue in 1872 and he was fined £50, which was recommended, be reduced to £5.

Helmore's troubles continued when in 1873 he was charged with running a brothel, which was not proved. The next year he was convicted of the same offence and he forfeited his license. On appeal, the Recorder squashed the conviction after few hours as not proved he had offended within meaning of the act. He was again charged in 1875 and fined £20, forfeiting his license.

Helmore's antics were not healthy for the house and, by 1887, the premises were occupied by plumbers. There were a couple of inquests, both for babies. in 1868 and 1873. The name is a pun on the tripod used to lift barrels.

Three Crowns /Tavern

King Street, aka Idol Lane

First listed in a directory in 1816, the wife of the landlord, William Deacon died in 1817. It was up for sale in 1818, and again in 1835.

Three Crowns ph

Butchers Row

Only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Three Cups

Goldsmith Street

Although Dymond places this house in Cathedral Close, records indicate it was in Goldsmith Street. An account from Michaelmas 1750 to Michaelmas 1751 records the receipt of £17 from Isaac Thomas of the Three Cups. A later document from circa 1800 states "Mr John Clappa messuage in the Goldsmith Street, formerly the Old Three Cups in the occupation of one Bond, £2"  The name is heraldic in origin. D&CN&Q

Three Horse Shoes Inn

Cowley

Three Horse ShoesFirst listed in 1894/5, listed in the 1972 Kelly's - still trading. The Three Horseshoes is a Blacksmith's sign. Photo by S Creech.

Three Horse Shoes ph

Bartholomew Street

Only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Three Mariners

Ferry Road, Topsham

This tavern used to occupy part of the site of Follett Lodge. and was recorded in 1730. Sir William Follett, the Attorney General was born in the lodge in 1798.

Three Tuns Inn

High Street

This inn was 'adjoining the east side of the Guildhall'. Little more is known at the moment.

Three Tuns Inn

High Street

First listed in in a directory in 1816, with the last listing in 1912, it was closed in 1913, and the area blitzed in 1942. It was at 8 High Street. The landlord was named Jeffery in 1827 according to Cossins. The name is derived from the arms of the Brewers' Company incorporated 1579.

Timepiece

Little Castle Street

TimepeaceBars and club, Unknown date of opening. Moved from the premises now occupied by Old Timers, into the former British Legion Club building - still trading.

Tiggas

Magdalen Street

See Judge Jefferies.

Tiger Bills

North Street

Tiger BillsSee Hart's in E - H Page 2.

Tiverton Inn

Eastgate - without

Mentioned in 1760 ref AER, fate unknown.

Topsham Inn

South Street, outside South Gate

It came into the possession of Harding and Richards in 1816 and listed in the same year. The tenant in 1893 was John Southard. The last listing was in 1923 – the in was closed in the same year.. In 1800, at the rear of the Topsam Inn there resided Elisha Channon, one of Exeter's makers of clay pipes (D&CN&Q).

Topsham

Topsham

No history is at present known

Totnes Arms

Roch Lane, aka Coombe Street

Mentioned in Flying Post, 1768 ref AER, fate unknown.

Tower Inn

New North Road

Origin unknown, fate unknown.

Turf Lock Hotel

End of the canal

See Turf Lock Hotel for a history.

Turk's Head /Tavern

Cowick Street

A planning application in 1899 revealed that this house was built in 1730, although there may have been an inn on the site in the 16th-Century. It was first listed in a street directory in 1816.

Mr Northcott of Fernworthy offered to Take in Cattle (grazing) for the summer in an advert in the Flying Post in April 1820. His Hind (man) would collect stock from the Turks Head, St Thomas on the 12 May. The Turks Head Estate came up for sale in March 1847. The inn consisted of a brewhouse, cellar, stabling covered skittle alley and walled garden, along with several cottages. There was a large courtyard, which probably led to some of the dwellings.

The death of Mr W Ellett, aged 34, was announced in October 1848, although it is not clear if he was the landlord. The estate came up for sale by auction in October 1856, in several lots, which consisted of 12 dwellings and the Turks Head. Suggested starting price for the inn was £650. In August 1861, James Stokes was prosecuted at the Guildhall for purchasing 21 fowl at the Turks Head contrary to the Market Act - there was some discussion as to whether the act covered St Thomas, as it was outside the city. The licence was transferred to Mrs Lear, from her late husband in 1863. By November 1866, the inn was for let, in the present occupancy of Mr Seward.

In July 1898, the owners embarked upon rebuilding part of the inn. At a St Thomas Council meeting in October of the same year, the committee checked the plans, which were approved, as the main building remained untouched, and therefore the work was not subject to the local bye-laws. A meeting at Exwick in March 1899 discussed the alterations as it was considered that the owners had violated the building bye-laws, when they commenced work the previous July. It is not clear if any action was taken. It was situated in front of the Longbrook public house on Cowick Street. In 1928, it was kept by Henry James Shooter, possibly of the Frank Shooter family. The building was demolished in 1972 for the St Thomas Shopping Precinct and became part of the car park.

Turks Head Inn
Saracen's

High Street

See Turks Head for a history.

Turks Head

Waterbeer Street

First listed in 1878, fate unknown, area demolished.

Turk's Head

Fore Street

First listed in 1822, last listed in 1850.

Turk's Head

Sidwell Street

Mentioned in Flying Post in 1797 ref AER, only listing 1816 - may have become the Acland Arms.

Unicorn

Butcher's Row

Origin unknown, fate unknown.

Union Inn/Tavern

Okehampton Street

First listed in 1822 listed 1853 fate unknown.

Union Inn

Waterbeer Street, aka as Theatre Lane

First listed in 1816 listed 1850, fate unknown.

Valiant Soldier /Tavern
on site of Golden Lion
and Goat

Magdalen Street

See Valiant Soldier for a history.

Velvet Lounge
Splash Bar
Moloko
Crazy Horse 1997/8
Devonport Inn

Fore Street

See Velvet Lounge for a history.

Victoria Inn

Chute Street

The only reference to this establishment so far ascertained is in 1866, when George Troyt Abscott (Arscott?) applied for a spirit license. There was a beer house on the corner of Parr Street and Chute Street in 1878 which may be relevant.

Victoria Inn

Paris Street

The following directory entries document the Victoria Inn - 1878 Andrew John - beerhouse, 1894 Victoria Inn, Joseph Skinner, 1897, beerhouse and boot retailer, Joseph Skinner, 1906 Bartholomew Compodonico - Victoria Inn, 1912 - premises empty.

Victoria Inn

South Street

Mentioned in Flying Post 1847 ref AER, fate unknown.

Victoria Inn

Victoria Street

Victoria InnFirst listed in 1878, listed in the 1972 Kelly's, still trading.

Victoria Tavern

Sun Street

Only listing 1833, fate unknown.

Victoria

Parr Street

First listed in 1889, last listed 1894/5 - the inn disappeared after 1909.

Victory Inn/Tavern

Sidwell Street

First listed in 1816, and last listed in 1956, the Victory Inn shared the ground floor with W French & Co. It closed in May 1958, and was demolished circa 1962. The building was a four storey, double shop width structure with a cement rendered front.

Village Inn
Whipton Inn

Whipton Village Road

Village InnFirst listed in 1894/5, listed in the 1972 Kelly's. Still named the Whipton Inn in 2001. Now trading as the Village Inn.

Village Inn 1982
Lamb Inn 1850
John Bull 1844

St Andrews Road Exwick

See Village Inn for a history.

Vine Inn

Alphington Street

Recorded in 1791 "late near foot of bridge" ref AER, only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Vine Tavern

Cathedral Close

In Flying Post records 1755 ref AER, fate unknown.

Vintage

High Street

Mentioned in advert to let 'from Christmas next' in the 28th October 1715 edition of Joseph Bliss' Exeter Post-boy. The tenant, Mr Richard Stretchley had died.

Volts & the Hothouse
clubs

Quay

VoltsSituated in a Grade II listed building. Volts inadvertantly allowed its license to lapse in 2005. They were raided by the police on the 13th June and closed. The Hothouse is situated in the same building. Photo Sean Creech.

Volunteer Inn

Gandy Street

Mentioned in Flying Post, 1866 ref AER, fate unknown.

Volunteer Inn

Goldsmith Street

In 1806 it was described as beerhouse, ref AER, only listing 1816, fate unknown.

Volunteer

South Street

In 1880's it was the scene of a child's murder, the room was sealed early 20th C - occupied by a grocer.

Waggon and Horse

Mermaid Yard
Preston Street

Remembered by people living in 1914 ref AER, fate unknown.

Walkabout

Fore Street

WalkaboutOpened November 1997 in shop premises, trading as an Australian theme bar. The right hand side of the premises was the Franklin Picture Palace which opened on 3rd February 1911. The cinema closed in 1924. Evans Gadd and Co, druggists and stationers occupied the left side of Walkabout in 1916.

Tiffany's and Mambo
Warehouse, Boxes & Boogies
Tiffany's and Quay Club

Commercial Road

See Quay Clubs for a history.

Weavers' Arms

South Street

Token from 1663, marked with the name John Collibeer. An advert in the 9th January 1716 issue of the Exeter Post-boy refers to the 'Weavers Arms in the Serge Market in Southgate-street'. The serge market was close to St George's Church oppsite the College of the Vicars, Kalenderhay.

Welcome Inn

Topsham

In February 1863 Mr Williams was the landlord. It was for sale in December 1865, with a large yard cottage and a 2½ acre field occupied by Mr Williams and Mr Burgess. It had a reputation for roughness and fighting

Welcome Inn
Haven Banks Inn/Tavern

Haven Banks

See Welcome Inn for a history.

Well House

Cathedral Yard

See Well House for a history.

Wellington Inn
Woodmans Arms to 1858

King Street corner of Smythen Street

The first reference to the Woodman's Arms is in 1852 in the Flying Post. In 1854, there was an objection to the renewal of the license because the landlord Mr Burrowes served liquor on a Sunday. There had been numerous incidents at the Woodman's over the previous years, and it had a notorious reputation with the police. In 1855, the license was not granted to Mrs Burrowes, whose husband had recently died, although she must have regained it the next year, for she was in trouble for selling spirits, contrary to her license. 

It was renamed the Wellington Inn in 1858 and the landlord was John Nichols. A story appeared in the Flying Post in August 1864 regarding the suicide of a woman at the inn. In 1867 the landlord Mr Phillips died, and the license passed to his wife; the pub was for lease the next year. The next landlord William Raddon was charged with out of hours trading in 1874. The public house was used for several inquests, one of which involved the suicide of a 15 year old girl using strychnine.  The license was transferred from William Raddon to Mr Berry in October 1889. Listed 1897 with Mrs Elizabeth Jane Raddon as the licensee. Next door was William Raddon, coal dealer. In March 1900, James Bennett, Reservist, was presented with a pound of tobacco, cigars, two pairs of socks and a muffler and on 20th November 1902, the Exeter Fire Brigade attended the Wellington Inn, then occupied by Mr R J Pearse, and extinguished a fire that had been caused by placing hot coals under the stairs. The insurance company were charged £1 19s for the Brigade's attendance.

West Indies Inn

Alphington Street

Records for this inn exist up to the year 1727. The inn was occupied by the Royalist army besieging Exeter in 1643. On 31st July, 1,000 Parliamentary defenders attacked the Royalist strongholds in St Thomas, destroying the West Indies Inn, among others. It was probably rebuilt (if it had been destroyed) and became known as the Ship Inn, probably in Alphington Street..

Weymouth Arms

Holloway Street

Weymouth Arms, Holloway StreetFirst listed in 1956 and last listed in the 1972 Kelly's. Demolished in January 1975 as part of creating the South Street/Western Way roundabout system. The photo was taken just before its demolition - photo courtesy of Alan Mazonowicz.

Wheatsheaf

Fore Street

First listed in 1822 listed 1850, fate unknown.

White Ball Inn

Mary Arches Street

First listed in 1844. The license was transferred from Sarah Ash to Robert Selley in 1880. It was amalgamated with the Golden Ball and the site is now occupied by Butlers.

White Hart / Inn

Alphington Street

1809 ref AER, listed 1816 listed 1859, fate unknown. The White Hart is the emblem of Richard II.

White Hart Hotel
Blue Boar Inn

South Street

See White Hart for a full history.

White Hart Inn

Cowick Street

Only listing 1844, fate unknown

White Hart Tap
part of White Hart South Street

Coombe Street

First listed in 1889, last listing 1897 - closed.

White Hart

Longbrook Street

Origin unknown, fate unknown.

White Horse

Martins Lane

Known during the reign of Henry VIII, fate unknown. The name is Saxon in origin and comes from the White Horse of Odin, a God.

White Horse

Sidwell Street

It was let to Fowler and Cole for £16 in 1683 and then in 1721 it was let to Philip Mahoone for a fine of £160 on condition that he rebuilt the stables after a fire. (ref D&CN&Q) First mentioned in the Exeter Flying Post in 1763 as "situate without Eastgate", it was leased from the Dean and Chapter in 1825, first listed in a directory 1822, and the last listing was in 1859 - later listed as private address.

White Horse

St Paul Parish

Known in 1575 from a lease of 80 years at £4 10 shillings per year, fate unknown.

White Lion Hotel/Inn

Sidwell Street

First listed in 1816, listed 1923, 1942 blitzed. The sign is the emblem of Edward IV.

White Swan

Cowick Street

Only listing 1830. It was included in the City Brewery inventory 1833 with offices stables, courtelage and buildings with a Mr Melhuish in residence for a 999 year term. It was owned by the brewery. The White Swan is the emblem of Henry IV.

White Swan

Fore Street

The 13th April 1716 Exeter Post-boy carried a to let notice for the White Swan. A further reference appeared in an undisclosed newspaper in 1766 ref AER..

Windmill

Holloway Street - corner of Bull Meadow Road

See Windmill for a history.

Windsor Castle Tavern

Summerland Street

The first mention of this establishment is May 1842 when it was Lot 6 in a sale of property; it was stated that it returned £35 rent per annum from the lease. It was a regular venue for inquests into sudden deaths in the area. In 1870, the landlord, William Pope was charged with allowing his chimney to catch fire - as he had it swept within the previous three months, no further action was taken. Mentioned in the Flying Post in 1882, it was known as Pope's Windsor Castle in 1893, when a property auction was held.

Windsor Castle

North Street Heavitree

Windsor CastleThe Windsor Castle Hotel was associated with the Windsor Brewery, which was absorbed into the Heavitree brewery at the end of the 19th century. The first mention of the brewery was 1862, when an advert was placed for an industrious man, and, in the same year Alger and Crowson of the Windsor Brewery, based at the Ship Inn, Heavitree, apologised for supply difficulties, to customers who had traded with them for the past three years. By 1872 it was Crowson's Windsor Brewery. In May 1893, there was an inquest into the sudden death of John Bonkem at the Windsor Castle. First listed in 1894/5, listed in the 1972 Kelly's, it is still trading.

Bonhay House
Chuffers 1985
Hotel Windsor 1939
St David's Temperance Hotel 1921

Bonhay Road

See Hotel Windsor for a history.

Wine and Spirit Vaults

74 South Street

The earliest reference to this business is in April 1819 when an advert for Cognac Brandy from Charante was placed in the Flying Post, when it was known as Crockett and Davies Wine and Spirit Vaults. By 1864 it was known as Mark Helmore's, Three Cranes Wine and Spirit Vaults. The license was transferred from Mr Henry Lawless, deceased, to his wife in 1878. By 1890 it had changed hands again and was run by J T Rose. First listed in 1889 and last listed in 1956 it no longer exists.

Wonford Inn

Wonford Road

Wonford Inn - Second World WarA Flying Post advert in May 1855 announced the Wonford Inn, a country inn, for let, which included a skittle alley. The landlord John Bradford, had to account for not paying towards the maintenance of a child, Rhoda Hookins, in 1867. Mr Bradford took the credit for providing the catering to the Heavitree Branch of the Working Men's Conservative Union in 1874. In 1883, David Lowton, Samuel Clements, William Reeve and Emanuel Street, all laboureres, were fined 4s each for being on the premises after hours. By 1893, Mr J Anstey was the landlord when the inn was granted a two hour extension for a meeting for Branch No 200 of the Rational Sick and Burial Society. First listed in 1889 listed in the 1972 Kelly's. It closed in February 1999 but has since reopened.

Woolpack
Champions Arms
Globe Arms

Bartholomew Yard

First listed in a directory in 1816. It was shown on Coldridge's map of 1818 next to the Lancastrian School, then from 1835, the National School, whose site was taken over by Walton's Warehouse. The area was sometimes referred to as Bartholomew Yard. Obviously relates to a pack or sack of wool, and the warehouse next door may have been involved in the wool trade before the school took on the premises. Abraham Cann, the famous Devon wrestler was landlord of the Woolpack 1828/9. It was renamed the Champions Arms by 1829, probably because of Cann's wins – he was still landlord in 1830 according to Pigott's Directory. By 1839, Robson's Directory of Devon, lists Philip Roberts as the landlord of the now named Globe Arms. It was alsostill listed in 1844 Pigotts. It was the 1856 will of John Bussell, solicitor, who owned Honeylands, that confirmed the Woolpack, Champion Arms and Globe Inn as the same establishment.

Yandalls Vaults

New Bridge Street

During May 1896, Thompson Rippon and Co announced the auction of a bakery, to be held at Yandall's wine and spirit vaults. First listed in a trade directory in 1923, and last listed in the 1972 Kelly's. The last landlady was Mrs Rosina Staddon. It was demolished to accommodate the building of the bridge over the Frog Street Western Way. The pub was required to trade through the lunch time opening hours of its last day before the afternoon auction to sell it off "Lock, stock and barrel" The licence was then transferred for the evening session of the new pub "The Seven Stars" in Alphington Road and the following day Yandalls was demolished. Both pubs were owned by Carr & Quick.

Page 1 -  A to D       Page 2 - E to L      Page 3 -  M to R      Page 4 - S to Z

This list is as complete as I can make it - new establishments and data will be added when found. All dates are the earliest or latest that I have seen - many pubs are older than indicated by the trade directories or the date I have researched. Current pub count 470. Some pubs may be duplicates - it is not always possible to trace name changes.

If you know any other information or have a photo of a pub please email me. This list has been compiled from hundreds of hours of research - use of small extracts in other websites and publications is prohibited unless there is a clear acknowledgement to Exeter Memories and David Cornforth of the material.

Note on sources - the sources for this section are the various trade directories, plus books by Robert Dymond, W G Hoskins, Maryanne Kowaleski, Robert Newton, Todd Gray, Hazel Harvey, Thomas/Warren, Stanton and Todd, Andrews, Elston and Shiel, John Willing and the Exeter City Council history website. The Express & Echo, Exeter Gazette and Trewman's Exeter Flying Post archives at the West Country Studies Library including notes of A E Richards, and maps including tithe and insurance at the Records Office were all invaluable. Geoffrey Prings History of the Exe Island and City Brewery and Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. With thanks to Robin Quant.

Top of Page