Page updated 21st August 2012
This little halt has been all but forgotten, in the history of the railways in Exeter. It was 1.99 miles from Queen Street Station.
It opened on 26th January 1906, along with Mount Pleasant Halt and Lion’s Holt, on the Queen Street Station to Honiton line, when the steam motor-rail service was introduced. The first service left Queen’s Street Station at 11:30 am and was scheduled to call at Whipton Bridge at 11:40 am, reaching Honiton at 12:32 pm. It was situated just to the east of Summer Lane, and served Whipton—Beacon Heath had not been developed at that time.
The halt had a brief moment of glory in July 1911, when the Daily Mail, Circuit of Britain Air Race reached Exhibition Fields. Special trains were laid on from Queen Street Station, to the halt, when several thousand people converged on the landing strip to have their first glimpse of a ‘flying machine.’
No photograph is known of the halt. It closed on the 1 January 1923.
│ Top of Page │