Page updated 17 September 2008
George Street was totally lost in the May 1942 blitz. It originally ran from South Street to Market Street. The map shows the old street. It was a poor area; No. 5 George Street sold for £100 in 1893, a sum much lower than properties in other parts of the city.
The new George Street dates from 1952. It runs from the side of St George's Hall to meet the new Market Street, along what had previously been roughly the line of Milk Street. St George's Hall is the replacement for the Lower Market which was lost in the bombing.
The name comes from St George's Church which stood on the side of South Street, approximately opposite the Hall of Vicars Choral. Built in the 10th century, the church was cut away for a road widening scheme in 1843, leaving an archway. The ruins of the Hall of Vicars Choral, which was badly damaged on the May 1942 bombing, were preserved after the war as a memorial to the bombing, and the surviving arch from St George's Church, opposite was moved and rebuilt in the ruins of the hall.The following list is from the 1897 Kelly's Directory.
George street, South
street to Milk street.
1 & 3 Lyons Joseph & Sons, jewellers
2 Morris James, dairyman
3 Lyons Joseph & Sons, jewellers
4 Rudd William H. printer & collector of poor's rate for St. George's parish
4 Palmer Miss Mary Ann, dress maker
Royal Oak P.H. Herbert J. Webber Fey
Miss Ann, dining rms
.....here is Milk st
6 Dickerson George, auctionr
8 Jennings John, pork btchr
9 Allen Hy. potato merchnt
10 Crawley T. boot sole sewer
George Street from Market Street
│ Top of Page │