Page updated 8 July 2009
This new open space at the head of the canal basin was named in 1996 after Exeter's twin town in Italy. It is a favourite area to spend a sunny afternoon, having a drink and enjoying the view. On the side opposite the river, is Exeter's old electricity generation station that was opened to supply electricity for the new tram system in 1905.
In the summer, Piazza Terracina is a popular place to chill. There is a range of places for refreshments and plenty of places to see around the canal basin and on the river. There are plans to develop the electricity building as a museum or exhibition space. The head of the canal basin is on another side where can be found a small railway turntable that still has some broad gauge track in place.
The broad gauge turntable in the 1970s – it has been restored and still in place at the Piazza. Photo Alan H Mazonowicz.
│ Top of Page │