Page updated 5 July 2009
house is one
that many often pass without
noticing. Situated opposite the Old Fire House, and just beneath
Northernhay Park it is located at the end
of a block of seven terraces built in the 1840's and named Albert
Terrace, after Prince Albert.
It is not known when the Oddfellows' public house was established. The earliest reference can be found in 1862 when William Nosworthy, the landlord from the Oddfellows' Arms was married. It is certain that it was named the Oddfellows' Arms, after the Oddfellows Friendly Society that had previously occupied the premises. The Society was first established in Exeter during 1845 and there is an Oddfellows Hall next to St Martins Church in Catherine Street. Oddfellows Friendly Societies were established in the 18th century to help working men and women - they were a sort of working man's Freemasons, but without the secrecy.
Some landlords of the Oddfellows:
- Norsworthy, W.,
odd-fellows' arms p.h.., new north-road
1878 - Abraham Waldron - White's
1883 to 1897 - Oddfellows Arms - Daniel Jackman - Kelly's
1856 - Basil K Commins
Daniel Jackman was lucky not
to lose his license in 1883, having being caught for selling out of
hours. He was issued with an occasional license for the Royal Public
Rooms in March 1892. It was in the mid-1990's that the pub was renamed The Gate and
as Exeter's first and only cider bar. Then The Gate closed and it
became an Irish theme pub named
Molloys. In early 2000 there
was another rename to the quirky Thirsty
Camel. The present landlord has returned its name to the
Oddfellows made the newspapers in November 1988, when Michelle Gavin, who was expecting twins at the time lost her flat and possessions in a fire in Sidwell Street. The landlord of Oddfellows heard of her plight, and raised money to help her by charging customers 50 pence to make a hand print on a newly painted white ceiling.
Source: Flying Post and trade directories
Oddfellows when it was the Thirsty Camel.
│ Top of Page │