Page updated 15 September 2008
Named after a lime kiln at its end, Lime Kiln Lane is situated in Higher Wear, Countess Wear. The lane leads towards the river, where the kiln is dug into a low cliff. Lime kilns were often situated on waterways, making it easy to import limestone from Berry Head and coal, predominantly, from Newcastle. The lime was used for building and agriculture. In White's Devonshire Directory for 1850, the limeburner in Countess Wear was listed as Davy and Son. Much of the lime was used on the fields of St David's in the north of the city. Truckermucks, or carts without wheels, pulled by horses or oxen, were used to carry the lime up the Topsham Road, Holloway Street, up South Street and down North Street to St David's Down. The traders and inhabitants of South Street and North Street found the roadway often blocked with overturned truckermucks, and piles of lime. The truckermucks also damaged the surface, and eventually they were banned.
│ Top of Page │