Page updated 20 June 2009
The road was cut in 1832 and named in 1863 after the wedding of Edward, Prince of Wales to Princess Alexandra of Denmark.
An unnamed, ten room house in Denmark Road was offered for the rent of £70 per annum in 1892. The land on the corner of Denmark and Barnfield Road was purchased by the City Council to enable the junction to be widened in 1893. The sum of £125 was borrowed to pay for the work.
In August 1895 an unattended horse and cab belonging to Mr Benjamin James took fright and bolted from the College Road cab stand, by the Mount Radford pub. The animal dragged the cab along Magdalen Road and then swerved right into Denmark Road before mounting the pavement, dragging the vehicle along the boundary wall adjacent to the almshouses. The cab was badly damaged, but the horse was unhurt.
The road was often used as part of the route for visiting Royalty to the city; in 1892, the Duke of Cambridge passed along the road on his way to a new Drill Hall at the barracks, during his visit to the city. In September 1915, the King and Queen also passed along the road when travelling between VA Hospital No 1, the Eye Hospital and VA Hospital No 5, which was the Castle Street Hostel, now known as Bradninch House.
In May 1942, during the blitz, the Divisional Fire Officer had a report, which he recorded in his log, that the area of Denmark Road to St Leonards Road was well ablaze. Luckily this was one of those reports that was wrong!
A memorial to the Protestant Martyrs can be found on the corner of Denmark Road and Barnfield Road.
Private, Alexander Francis Gordon, Derbyshire Yeomanry. 11 April 1918. Age 36. The Firs, Denmark RdLance Corporal, Albert Ernest Heard, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. 20 September 1918. Age 39. The Den, Denmark RdCaptain, Bertram William Heyman Wreford, Devonshire Regiment. 23 April 1917. Age 22. "The Firs," Denmark Rd
│ Top of Page │